Monday, May 24, 2010

Paula Deen's Mama's Pound Cake



Hey everybody! It is official...I have graduated from high school! Yahoooo! which means that I have a lot to blog about including this pound cake recipe. I have always loved pound cake but have never had one that I just absolutely loved until one day I knew I had to find a fantastic recipe. This came about when I was exempt from my Pre-Cal final. Let's just say I was VERY grateful and I wanted my teacher to know that so I had my friend Kirstyn ask her what her favorite dessert was. She told her that she loved pound cake so I knew that Paula Deen would have a great one and let me just say she knew what she was doing when she or should I say her mama made it. It is extremely easy and from now on if I am ever in need of a pound cake recipe this will definitely be my go to. So without further adieu get our your butter and sugar out! From the Splendid Kitchen Enjoy!!!

Ingredients:
1/2 pound (2 sticks) butter
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
3 cups sugar
5 eggs
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon fine salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Begin by pre-heating your oven to 350 degrees
With your mixer grab that butter and shortening and cream together.




Next add your eggs one at a time, mixing after each one.


Time to add in the sugar! Now I know it is tempting to put it all in at once but do it a little at a time and it will end up looking like this..a little bit clumpy.





Now get your dry ingredients and mix together into a bowl. Then add to mixture alternating with milk and flour. Note: begin with flour and end with flour (honestly, I don't know why but I am guessing it has something to do with the texture in the end...just a guess. Maybe I should Google it :) )



Lastly, add in that vanilla.





Grease a bunt pan and pour mixture in.


Bake for about 1 hour to an 1 1/2. Insert a toothpick into cake to see if done. If it comes out with any batter in it is is not done. Make sure to not leave it in the pan for too long just about 10 min. It should come out smooth and when it is done it will look golden and delicious like this...



Maybe you could even put a tab of butter on it and heat it up which is what my dad requested. I hope y'all enjoy the Little Mermaid plate from when I was little. I realized after I took the picture that that was what plate I had placed it on. It is ok I am not ashamed that I still at times eat off of kiddie plates or serve my desserts on them.

Be looking for some more posts soon! Yummy bakings from the Splendid Kitchen!


If you want to print the recipe here is the website:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/mamas-pound-cake-recipe/index.htmlPICTURE

No comments:

Post a Comment