Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Mississippi Mud Cake



When I was told that we were having some guys and by guys I mean baseball players(my dads a coach)over for dinner I jumped at the chance to make a dessert because 1) It is one of my favorite things to bake and 2) I decided to make this...Let me just start off by saying that this is one of my favorite desserts. It is one that is not new or different in any way it is just a good recipe filled with chocolatey goodness which just happens to be right up my ally. I hope you find this delicious!

Cake Ingredients:
4 eggs
2 Cups sugar
1 1/2 Cups flour
1/3 Cup cocoa
1 Tsp. vanilla
1 Cup pecans (optional)
2 Sticks oleo, melted
1 (7 oz.)jar marshmallow cream

Icing Ingredients:
1 Stick oleo, melted
1 Tsp. vanilla
1 Box of Powdered Sugar
6 Tbsp. Milk
3/4 Cup chopped pecans (optional)
1/3 Cup Cocoa

Start off by pre-heating your oven to 350 degrees....unfourtunately I forgot...so do it before anything else otherwise you will have just finished licking the bowl when you go to put the pan in the oven to find it well not 350 degrees :)

Once you have done this crack 4 eggs into a mixing bowl


Next add 2 cups of sugar to the eggs


Beat the two together..you might need to go in about half way through and scrape down the edges.



Time to add the important stuff...put in 1 1/2 cups flour


1/3 cup cocoa


1 Tsp. vanilla


2 sticks of melted oleo and if you were to be adding pecans now would be the time to add 1 cup of them.



Now your ready to mix. Again you might need to scrape down the edges about half way through. This is where it transforms into something delectable...



Pour mixture into a 9x12x2 inch pan that has been greased.



Once you have licked the bowl and you have gotten over the fact of how good the mixture by itself is put the pan into the oven for about 30 min. It took 40 for me but the original directions say 30 so just keep and eye on it. This is what it should look like...


Go ahead and put the marshmallow creme on top of it. My only word of caution would be to spread it carefully so as to not "pull up" the cake. Let cool.





Now we get to top chocolate with more chocolate! Yes it's time for the icing which just happens to be my favorite part :)Just grab a medium-large pot just so it won't look like it snowed in your kitchen after you have added the powdered sugar.

Begin by mixing 1 cup of oleo, melted


1/3 cup cocoa


and 6 Tbsp. of milk.


Bring to a boil. Once boiling turn off immediately and quickly add...


The box or 1 pound bag of powdered sugar. Do this kind of slowly so it doesn't go everywhere.




1 Tsp. vanilla and again if you were adding pecans now would be the time to add 3/4 cup, chopped.


Stir until most of the lumps are out.


Pour icing over marshmallow creme.


Now spread it out. The advantage to letting the cake cool completely comes in this step. It makes it ALOT easier to spread and prevents the marshmallow creme from mixing with the icing.


All done!

Can't you just tast the chocolate melting in your mouth? I won't be cutting into it until tomorrow night but maybe I can get a good picture and let you know how it turned out! I hope you enjoy! Until next time...happy cooking from The Splendid Kitchen!

Short version of the...
Cake Directions:
Beat eggs with sugar. Add next 5 ingredients to eggs; mix well. Pour into greased 9x12x2 inch pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 min. While hot, cover with marshmallow creme. Cool.
Icing Directions:
Mix together oleo, cocoa, and milk in pan. Bring to a boil. Add powdered sugar, vanilla, and pecans. Spread over marshmallow creme.

2 comments:

  1. Kelsey this cake look sooo amazing! I really like the way you set up this blog... I cant believe you put all of the steps!! Cant wait to see more recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks girl! I have so much fun doing this. I will let you know how it turned out!

    ReplyDelete