Thursday, April 29, 2010

Magic Cookie Bars



Hello everyone! I hope that this post finds everyone having a wonderful day...today I am bringing y'all a recipe that is just one of my favorites. My mom has it on a recipe card that says April '77 on it. I think that is so cool. Anyway I made it a couple of weeks ago for the boys and they went over well. You might also know these as "seven layer bars" although mine do not have seven layers but you get the idea...they are very similar. Also in my next post I will be sharing my FAVORITE cornbread recipe...just thought I would give everyone something to look forward to that is not a dessert :) From the Splendid Kitchen enjoy!

Ingredients:
1 1/2 Sticks of butter
1 1/2 Cups of graham crackers or vanilla wafers
1 Can of Eagle Brand sweetened condensed milk
6 Oz. Semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 1/3 Cup coconut
1 Tbsp. sugar

Begin by pre-heating your oven to 350 and grabbing a 13X9X2 inch pan. There is no need to grease it because the crumbs will have butter in them and that should be enough to keep them from sticking.

First off take your butter and melt it in the microwave again just a friendly reminder to cover it so you do not experience a butter explosion.


Next measure your graham cracker crumbs or vanilla wafers. If using vanilla wafers just put them in a bag and crush then measure. I just opted for store bought graham cracker crumbs....I am also guessing that you could use honey maid graham crackers as well. I might have to try that next time. Anyway...


Once the butter is melted take you "crumbs" and pour them in with the butter. Also add the sugar to the crumb mixture.



Next grab a spoon and mix together...



And then you are done with the crust. Now take your pan and pour the freshly buttered crumbs into the pan.


Now what I do now is simply pat the crumbs down into the pan with my hands because I think it is easiest but if you have an easier way let me know!


Time to add the chocolate...


And the coconut...It is starting to look very yummy.



Next you will add the sweetened condensed milk. Now my mom told me that the way you are supposed to open it is to get a bottle opener with a point on it. If you do not have one just use something that you can cut through the can with. Here is where it gets interesting. You take the can and make a small opening on one side and the on the other side directly across you make a big opening like so...

And if you ask me why I will simply tell you that her mom always taught her that way. So that is my answer, "That is how my granny taught my mom and my mom taught me." I will have to ask my granny and get back to you on the real reason.

Once you have opened it properly :) begin to pour it over the coconut back and forth and up and down. It should look like this.


Once you have poured all of it on there it will be ready to go into the oven.


Put them in and after about 25-30 min. they will come out looking glorious.


Let them cool and then cut. What is so great about these is that everything seems to just sink into one another. Also I think you can add other things to this and make it your own if you like. Let me know if you do or if you have another great recipe. Enjoy!

Printable Directions:
Pre-heat oven to 350
Measure crumbs, sugar, and melted butter into a 13X9X2 pan
Press to make it stick together to make a crust
Sprinkle the chocolate chips over crust and then the coconut
Pour the milk evenly over the coconut
Bake for about 25 min.
Let cool and cut

2 comments:

  1. I always add 1/2 package of Nestles Butterscotch Chips and reduce the chocolate chips accordingly. I also sprinkle chopped pecans on top of the coconut.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those sound like delicious additions! I will try next time...Thanks Anne and Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete