Saturday, June 19, 2010

Pioneer Woman's Beef and Cheese Enchiladas



Hey everyone! I do not know about y'all but I can never seem to get enough of mexican food. It doesn't matter what it is if it involves having chips and salsa before I am there! A few weeks ago I decided to make these enchiladas not exactly knowing what to expect. I will say that the bar was very high because my mom makes killer cheese enchiladas. The great part about this is that I really cannot compare them to my moms because these were beef enchiladas and good ones might I add. Keep in mind I am a Texas girl so my standards for mexican food are up there. :) Give these a try though...you will not be disappointed. Now go turn on some salsa music and get ready for a mexican fiesta!

Ingredients:
FOR THE SAUCE:
1 Tablespoon Canola Oil
1 Tablespoon All-purpose Flour
1 can (28 Ounce) Enchilada Or Red Sauce
2 cups Chicken Broth
½ teaspoons Salt
½ teaspoons Ground Black Pepper
2 Tablespoons Chopped Cilantro

FOR THE MEAT:
1-½ pound Ground Beef
1 whole Medium Onion, Finely Diced
2 cans (4 Ounce) Diced Green Chilies
½ teaspoons Salt

FOR THE TORTILLAS:
10 whole (to 14) Corn Tortillas
½ cups Canola Oil

TO ASSEMBLE:
3 cups Grated Sharp Cheddar Cheese
½ cups Chopped Black Olives (optional)
1 cup Chopped Green Onions
½ cups Chopped Cilantro

Before I begin I would like to mention a few things I would change. First off, I would not use as much red sauce as is recommended in the directions. Simply because my enchiladas came out soupy...they still tasted good but a bit soupy. Secondly, I would dip your tortillas in the sauce one at a time, filling them as you go. Thirdly, I did not include the green onions because we had normal onion. Lastly, I don't like black olives so I did not include those! Now I will get off my soap box and get on with this delicious dish!

The first thing you are going to do is make the sauce. So in a saucepan over med.-low heat add canola oil and flour. Mix and allow to come to a "bubble" for about a minute. Now I am sure you can see in my picture below that that did not happen for me. I would recommend adding a bit more canola oil or simply moving on like I did. I don't know if that was the right decision but it worked for me.

Now pour in the red sauce, chicken broth, salt, and pepper and bring up to a boil. In this case I would recommend maybe using 20 oz. of red sauce but it is up to you. After it comes to a boil dial down the heat a bit to a simmer and let sit while preparing other ingredients.


So as your sauce simmers begin to work on the meat. You will need to chop up your onion and add it to a skillet with the ground beef. You will cook this, moving it around, until brown.


Then drain the mixture and place back in skillet.


Now add the green chilies and salt. Stir until combined and then set aside.


Tortilla time! In a small skillet lightly fry tortillas in canola oil, taking them out when the soften and and allowing them to drain on a towel lined plate.


Gather you tortillas, sauce, meat, and cheese and form an assembly line. Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees. Now take 1/2 cup of your sauce and spread in the bottom of a 9 x 13 inch pan.


Next, dip each tortilla into the sauce one at a time. Here is one other thing I would do differently. She did them all at once and then stuffed them; however, my tortillas ended up sticking together so next time I will dip it in the sauce and immediately stuff. Unfortunately, my pictures are not done that way so bear with me.


After, you have dipped the tortillas, stuff them with ground beef mixture and cheese. (If you choose now would also be the time to add the black olives and green onions.) Roll them all up and put them in the pan...hmmm sounds like a nursery rhyme I used to sing :)


Add the cilantro to the sauce and pour over enchiladas. Now sprinkle as much cheese as your heart desires!




Bake for about 20 min. or until bubbly (mine had to cook for a while longer) . Take out and sprinkle a little cilantro on top if you so please. I would say to let cool a bit but we just could not wait.


Serve with some rice and maybe some chips and homemade salsa. Yum!
What is great about these is that if you have left overs they are even better the next day. I think because the sauce gets to absorb a bit more. Anyway, de la cocina espléndida disfrutar! (from the Splendid Kitchen Enjoy!)

Printable Recipe:
http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2008/09/simple-perfect-enchiladas/

No comments:

Post a Comment