Monday, June 7, 2010

Spicy Queso



Hey everyone! I am just going to tell you right off the bat that this queso is going to make you never want to make the plain old queso on the back of the Velveta box any more. It has a such an great combination of meat, cheese and spice that makes it to die for. I of course got it from the Pioneer Woman and first made it for our Superbowl party back in February. People loved it. I then made it for some of my friends and they declared that it was the best queso! So props to Pioneer Woman! Now all you have to do is get the ingredients and get crackin'!!! From the Splendid Kitchen enjoy!

Ingredients:
32 ounces, weight Velveeta Cheese Loaf
10 ounces, weight Rotel
1 pound Jimmy Dean Hot Breakfast Premium Pork Sausage
7 ounces, weight Chopped Green Chilies
1 whole Yellow Onion
1 whole Jalapeno, or more to taste

Before I start I want you to remember that you can moderate the "heat" of this queso.

Start off by dicing up your onion. Place diced onion in a non-stick skillet with the spicy sausage.


Stir until brown. Once done drain some of the fat and place back into skillet.(Excuse the blurriness of my picture :)


Now take your Velveta cheese loaf (I know it doesn't sound so appealing but stick with me) and dice it into cubes. The smaller the better. This will cause it to melt faster.


Now I do veer a little bit from the original recipe at this point just to save time. I put the whole can of Rotel in with the meat as well as well as the whole can of green chillies and then the jalapeƱo. Here is where you make an important decision: to leave the seeds and membrane(the slightly white part in the middle) in or not to leave the seeds and membrane in. Only you can decide. :) Note that when I say "whole" I mean juices and all. The original calls for you to put your cheese in and then add but I do it backwards. It is really up to you.


Now add your little cheese cubes...


Stir and watch them melt into cheesy goodness...


And then suddenly it is the queso you always dreamed of! I can taste it now. It is so hearty and yummy! The last thing to do is to put it into your crock pot to serve and you are done!


Just get some sturdy chips so that they do not break. Basically, it is extremely easy and will serve a good amount of people and is great for a party or any occasion! Wishing you cheesy times from the Splendid Kitchen!

Printable Directions: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2007/06/chile_con_queso/

No comments:

Post a Comment