Monday, March 22, 2010

Chocolate Gooey Buttercake



So I know that it has been awhile but I have been out of town for the past ten days for baseball. It was very fun but I am back and ready to share this amazing recipe that I got from Paula Deen. In case I have not told ya'll I have been making treats for the team before every Friday game...but here is the kicker...it has to include chocolate. So I decided that whatever I would make would have to be able to be made Wednesday night because we would be leaving Thursday morning...would have to get on a plane with me and make it to California and still be good by Friday. I had in mind one of my favorite desserts which is butter cake; however, that is not chocolate so I knew Paula specialized in gooey butter cakes (she makes all different kinds). Of course when I was looking I found a chocolate one! Let me just say this gets better the longer it sits and while I don't have a picture of my own of it cut into little pieces you can still tell that it is delicious. One of the players even made the comment that I was "a beast of a baker." Interesting complement but hey I'll take it :) Anyway I also have another recipe that I had to make on the road while we were gone...with no oven in sight it was tough but that post will come later. It is an interesting story. From the Splendid Kitchen enjoy!

Ingredients:
8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter, melted, plus 8 more tablespoons (1 stick) butter, melted, plus additional butter, for greasing pan
1 (18.25-ounce) package chocolate cake mix
1 egg, plus 2 eggs
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
3 to 4 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 (16-ounce) box powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup chopped nuts (I omitted the nuts)

Begin by pre-heating your oven to 350 degrees and greasing a 13X9 pan. Also go ahead and gather all your ingredients.


Your going to begin by making the crust which is very easy. Simply combine your cake mix, 1 egg, and 1 stick of melted butter.


Mix until it is all combined and pat into pan. Set aside when finished and clean out your mixer.


Time to start on the filling! Start by beating the cream cheese until smoothe.


Next add 2 eggs and the cocoa powder.


Blend well.


Now slow down the mixer and add the powdered sugar. It will begin to look a bit thicker.


Then slowly add the remaing melted stick of butter and vanilla.


It should look pretty and fluffy like this.(If you were to be adding the nuts now would be the time)


Lastly, pour mixture over crust and smooth out.



Now I decided to add mini chocolate chips on the top just because I though it needed more chocolate :)


All done!


As a result of my cutting into it early Thursday morning before leaving I did not get a picture of the finished product so the picture at the top is complements of Paula Deen. Take note that this picture has the nuts in it.

Also the directions say 40-50 min. Well it took me about an hour and 20 min. so it definately depends on your oven. Make sure it is gooey in the middle too. If cooked too long it will not be "just right". Oh and one other thing and then I will let yall go make this! It says in the original directions to cool on a wire rack but I do not know how anyone could get it out of the pan. If you find out a way please let me know. Sending chocolately goodness from the Splendid Kitchen!


Printable Directions:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/double-chocolate-gooey-butter-cakes-recipe/index.html

1 comment:

  1. These were amazing! You should totally make some puppy chow next. Oh, and the treat that was made without an over that hasn't been posted yet was amazing as well!!!!!

    ReplyDelete