Monday, March 1, 2010

Apple Dumplings



After hearing time and time again how amazing this recipe is I had to try it for myself. It is off of the Pioneer Woman's website whom I adore. I had been pondering this recipe when my Bible teacher, Ms. Simonton, who also loves the Pioneer Woman decided to make them. The verdict and I quote "These should be illegal to make." So I decided to make them for my friends and me. We had a Bachelor party on Monday yes you read it right. As many of you know it was the Bachelor season finale and we were ready to have a party! Anyway I hope ya'll enjoy this recipe as much as I did. Also note that the original recipe calls for 2 8oz. cans of crescent rolls; as a result of my mom finding quite large granny smith apples and yes my mom did the grocery shopping for me. Thanks mom! She sugessted that I cut it into 6 slices instead of 8 and just use the larger crescent roll. What would I do without her! Anyway another word from the wise... I would recommend eating them after letting them cool for about 5 min. Let the sweet times roll from the Splendid Kitchen!

***BEWARE: THIS IS A LOW FAT RECIPE!***(Just tell yourself that before you make these)
Prep time: 10 min.
Cook time: 40 min.
Serves: 6-12 depending on how many people eat
Ingredients:
2 whole granny smith apples
2 10 oz. cans crescent rolls
2 sticks of butter
1 1/2 cup sugar
1 Teaspoon vanilla
Cinnamon, to taste
1 can (12 Oz.) Mountain Dew

Begin by buttering a 9x13 inch pan. Make sure and get all the sides too.


First off take your two delicious granny smith apples and peel and core them. Since I knew I had 12 crescent roll I cut each apple in half and then in thirds.




Next you can pop open those crescent rolls and roll then out like so...


Next all you do is roll up one apple slice in each cresent roll and they will look like this...


Now move over to the stove and grab your two sticks of butter and melt them.


Next add in all 1 1/2 cups of that sugar!


The next step is very important and that is that you barely stir the sugar. Just make sure it is mixed in and still very thick. (I know my picture does not do justice but you will know what I am talking about when you make it)


Next add the 1 Tsp. vanilla


Stir it in a bit and pour over your dumplings...




Make sure they are all covered


Now for the kicker....add your 12 oz. of mountain dew...pour around the edges and down the middle


Lastly add your cinnamon to taste and stick them in the oven for 40 minutes


The aroma of apple and cinnamon will begin to fill your house and before you know it they look like this...



Let me just say you need to make this recipe immediately and yes it should be illegal. Until next time go grab some ice cream and make these. From the Splendid Kitchen ... Peace, Love and Apple Dumplings.



Printable directions: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2008/02/apple_dumplings/

2 comments:

  1. There better be one left for me at the house for tomorrow night! Looks scrumptious :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. glad i was able to test these!!!! kgd

    ReplyDelete